Thursday, January 29, 2009

Thoughts on Pushing It

I haven't yet decided whether this will be my main journal for the more... 'daily' thoughts that are more difficult to categorize or whether that should be the journal that goes in the "Partying" section.

I'm leaning more towards this page.

Anyway.

Tonight was a fun night. I'm once again pushing my limits and it feels good to stretch out the old social muscles. I've been doing some very outlandish stuff but I've decided that what I need to do is...

well, I would say 'guage the reaction with more interest and respond from there' but that would imply that my actions are dependent upon others' actions.

That is, of course, against the rules.

My actions are entirely independent of others' so long as they fall outside of my policy of being considerate.

Being considerate is the check/balance to being a leader.

So to re-word that original statement, what I need to do is press the interaction at least a step or two further and then see how I feel about the prospects.

Here's an example - lets say I walk up to someone who looks rich and I say "Hey I'm thinking you should loan me a million dollars" and then I walk off nonchalantly as if it was no big deal, they don't really have a chance to say "Yeah that sounds like a great idea".

Thus what I should do is lean back, read them, and then go the next step which might sound like "I was thinking of breaking it up into installments of $100k paid out over 10 months."

Because, of course, the devil is in the details.

You'd be surprised how willing people are to follow your lead if you're willing to lead them.

Best,
Julian Saint Clair

No comments: