Thursday, January 29, 2009

Adios Mother...

Probably the funniest thing that happened Saturday night was when I was at the bar. The music's pumping and some orangish red lighting overhead makes me feel like it's time for a red light special.

I told the bartender:
"get me drunk for THIS"
I handed her a wad of cash and turned back to my friends as she laughed and poured up something delightful

I turn back around to the bar and just like magic there are two AMF's (A long-island-like drink, try one) sitting on the counter.



Yum.

I look to my left and wouldn't you know it, there's a 5'2" cutie standing there in a sparkly dress. They always wear sparkles



Yum.

"Are those for me?" She asked
I shook my head with a smile.

A better comeback would have been to eye her dress and ask her: "Are those for me ??"

But apparently I couldn't think that fast.

“Nice try. I know all about the ‘stand-by-the-bar-and-ask-if-that-drink-is-for-me’ game for getting free drinks. I invented it”

She giggled. They always giggle

“Is that a blue Hawaiian ?”
“Nope!”
“AMF?”
“Yup, Adios”
“Adios Motherfucker? Ok, Adios!”

WHOA!

She said it like ‘goodbye’ and did a half-turn away from me with a coy smile. Haha, very clever she was. Caught me off guard. I told her as much with a smile

“Very clever. Lets see if you’re still so clever after you get another drink in you”
We laughed

I turned my back and never saw her again.

Alas, a good time was had by all and I wasn’t interested in escalating the situation at the time. However, if you want things to escalate, SOMEONE has to escalate it. This is a lesson I’ve already learned many a time, but it’s a good fundamental one to remember.

There were other stories from which to learn that night, but you’re going to have to buy the book to hear those adventures. Still, you can see the lessons:

Lessons Learned:

-If you want the interaction to go somewhere you’ve got to take it there
-Don’t ever depend on someone else to pull the trigger, YOU are the bottom line
-Nothing is ever as effective as your presence – BE THERE
-Always be leading
-Be decisive, even if you’re blundering and wrong, you’ll learn something
-If you’re engaging a group, involve people you want/need to involve
-In the end, the strength of your confidence determines the outcome

No comments: